Sunday, February 12, 2012

You are right... that is an Emergency, thank you for coming!

So after working at my new job for almost 3 weeks it safe to say every ED has very similar problems/things that make us laugh. This post is def for my fellow ED employees everywhere....

In an Alaskan ED....
1. It is still impossible to get a floor nurse on the phone to give report. And being placed on hold is a great past time of mine (they do have way better music here.)

2. People in Alaska still consider cold symptoms, headaches for years, chronic back pain, nasal drainage, one episode of vomiting after eating Mexican food and babies that "cry all the time" are emergencies and get very upset when you don't share their same concern.

3. People drink, a lot, everywhere, and people in Alaska reallllyyyyy love to drink! My new favorite thing in the ED is giving breathalyzer tests to my patients. And yes we have it as an order in the ED.

4. Doctors can put in their own orders, and this hospital is proof, sometimes its actually more annoying than helpful but at least they order the correct x-ray and CT scans they want, and its never my fault :)

5. Customer service is running health care....period.....double period.

6. In Alaska they think more than 3 people in the waiting room is reason enough to panic....... please who knows what would happen if they had 8+ hour waits.

7. Doctors know when you know what you are doing, and the ones that don't care..... are stupid.

8. Wake Forest Baptist hosp has the best run traumas compared to Alaska...... I know hard to believe but I cant even get a good rectal tone confirmation on a GSW to the head.

9. ICU nurses come down and "help" with all traumas.......ICU nurses ....really? yet they are not very nice and think ED nurses are stupid.... ummmm

10. ED nurses are funny, nice, smart and can handle anything thrown their way, I have always been lucky to have some great fellow nurses working with me and this hosp is no different, I am learning a lot and get excited for new situations.

Tons of other funny things have happened and I find myself laughing at the thought of it happening at Baptist. ED doctors don't even lay eyes on the patient if they were excepted by another service.....say WHATTT I have a had a hard time with this and I just hope these doctors understand I will learn your name and drag you to my patient. Patients are brought back to the ED and can wait up to an 1hr to see an MD, they chart as they go and will not see/discharge/admit a patient until they have finished charting. ANNOYING! Over all this hospital has been a great experience, I enjoy the culture I work with and they love my accent. In this hospital they have many displays of native art and many people travel all across the state to see it.
Had a great week of work and hanging out with Kip, lots of activities planned for the  next few weeks including my first ski experience. We have been having a lot of fun with taco night with friends and going out for drinks. So one of my friends told me there were a lot of guys in Alaska, and it def seems like it going out........ how many Bro Dates do you see in this picture.
Making our own pizza was another highlight, but def decided to make our own dough and everything next time!

Again.... trying to drive safe and thank the lord for ice/snow tires.....this person obvi had some problems

So excited so many people are enjoying my blog as much as I am writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment